Composer and Organist
Mike Stubbs studied composition with John Moseley at St. Edward’s College and organ with Richard Lea and Terence Duffy at Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral. He went on to study Music as Organ Scholar at The City University in London, where he studied composition with Simon Holt and organ with Catherine Ennis.
He is currently Composer in Residence and assistant director of Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral Concerts Society Cantata Choir and works as a primary school teacher in Bolton, where he is involved in initial teacher training. He is also organist at St Paul of the Cross RC Church, Burtonwood.
In October 2020, he began a PhD in composition, under the supervision of composer Kevin Malone. He is researching how teacher-composers can use their own compositions to support children develop their own composition craft.
Mike’s compositions cover a wide range of genres from solo instrumental works (particularly for Church Organ) through a number of works for chamber ensembles to orchestral works such as Doric Star
He has written several works for children, including fully staged musicals such as ‘The Curious Case Of La Fleur Perdue’.
In 2011, Richard Lea’s recording of his ‘Fanfare: Once Around, Anticlockwise’ for organ received excellent reviews from the music press: ‘Mike Stubbs’s fanfare…strikes a note of originality’ (Choir & Organ Magazine, March/April 2011); ‘The album’s most illuminating track…electrifying’ (Organists’ Review, May 2011).
To contact Mike regarding purchasing, performing or commissioning music for any occasion, email him at:-
List of Compositions
As the site develops, each work will be given its own page, with details about the piece and a recording or MIDI performance to listen to.
Title – Forces – 1st Performance (where relevant)
- For Valour… (2018) – Tenor, SATB semi chorus, SATB and Orchestra – Cathedral Concerts Society, Nov 2018 (Orchestrated arrangement of the choral piece composed in 2011)
- O Emmanuel (2017) – SATB and Orchestra – Cathedral Concerts Society, Dec 2017
- Concertante: A Divine Madness (2015) – Organ and Orchestra – Cathedral Concerts Society, Nov 2015
- Doric Star (2014) – SATB and Orchestra – Cathedral Concerts Society, Nov 2014 (Published by MusikProduktion Hoeflich, Munich- https://repertoire-explorer.musikmph.de/en/product/stubbs-mike/)
- Suite For Orchestra (1988, revised 2016) – Orchestra – St Edward’s College, May 1989
For Chamber Ensemble
- Between H’m And Now (2020) – Cello, Piano
- Octet for Nine Instruments (1991, revised 2017) – Piccolo, Bass Clarinet, Horn, Trumpet, Bass Drum, Triangle, Celesta, Violin, Double Bass
- After Astor (2017) – Violin, Accordion, Piano, Bass
- Evening Service (2019) – SSATB and Organ
- Regina Caeli (2019) – Double Choir, unaccompanied
- Alma Redemptoris Mater (2019) – SATB unaccompanied
- Ave Regina Caelorum (2019) – SSATTB unaccompanied
- The Sprig O’Thyme (2019) – SATB unaccompanied – Cathedral Concerts Society, July 2019
- This Is The Day (2017) – SSATB and Organ
- Let All The World In Every Corner Sing (2016) – SATB unaccompanied
- Two Ancient Love Songs (2016) – SATB unaccompanied – Cathedral Concerts Society, June 2017
- Many Rooms (2015) – SATB, Children’s Choir and Organ – Cathedral Concerts Society, June 2015 (One movement – ‘Today, Tonight and Forever’ – was one of the JAM Call for Music winners in 2016 – see above)
- Te Deum Laudamus (2012) – SATB and Organ – Cathedral Concerts Society, Nov 2012
- For Valour… (2011) – Tenor, SATB semi chorus, SATB, Bell – Cathedral Concerts Society, Nov 2011
- Anima Christi/Seven Last Words (2010) – Baritone, SATB, optional Bell – Cathedral Concerts Society, Mar 2016
- Song Of Exodus (2008) – SATB unaccompanied, with optional Tenor solo
- God Be In My Head (2005) – Single or Double Choir, unaccompanied – Cathedral Concerts Society, June 2015
- I Sing Of A Maiden (2005) – Up to 3 equal parts and keyboard accompaniment
- Nativity: Shepherds, You’re Not Dreaming (with Gail Stubbs) (2015) – KS1/LKS2 children and accompaniment – Sacred Heart RCP School, Dec 2015
- Nativity: Songs Of A Wonderful Birth (with Gail Stubbs) (2014) – KS1/LKS2 children and accompaniment – St Paul of the Cross RCP School, Dec 2014
- Nativity: Let All The Earth Rejoice (with Gail Stubbs) (2013) – KS1/LKS2 children and accompaniment – St Paul of the Cross RCP School, Dec 2013
- Ghosts (Are Here To Haunt You) (2005) – Unison voices and Organ – Sacred Heart Choir, Bolton Music Festival, June 2005
- The Truth Behind Nursery Rhymes (2004) – KS2 children and accompaniment – Sacred Heart RCP School, June 2004
- Musical: Aliens – From Planet Earth! (2001) – KS2 children and Chamber Orchestra – Sacred Heart RCP School, Jan 2001***
- Musical: The Curious Case Of ‘Le Fleur Perdue’ (2000) – KS2 children and Big Band – Sacred Heart RCP School, Jan 2000***
- Nativity: The 2000th Birthday Party (with Victoria Heyes) (1999) – KS1 children and accompaniment – Holy Family RCP School, Dec 1999
- Musical: Little Red Riding Hood Meets The Three Little Pigs (with Victoria Heyes) (1999) – KS2 children and accompaniment – Sacred Heart RCP School, Jan 1999
***with MIDI backing track
- Islay Mass – 3 arrangements
- Original ICEL translation (2003) – Congregation and Accompaniment – St Paul of the Cross RC Church, Oct 2003
- Revised ICEL translation (2012) – Congregation and Accompaniment – St Paul of the Cross RC Church, Dec 2012
- Choral Edition (2016) – SATB and Organ – Liverpool University Singers, Feb 2017
- Sacred Heart Acclamations (2013) – Cantor, Congregation and Accompaniment – Sacred Heart RC Church, Dec 2013
- Hymn ‘Come, Holy Spirit, Lord Of Light’ (2012) –
- Simple 4 part setting – St Paul of the Cross, May 2016
- Extended setting for congregation, SATB and Accompaniment (Orchestra or Organ) – Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral Concerts Society, June 2017
- And a variety of psalm and antiphon settings for use in church (1998 – present)
For Solo Instrument
- Dr Claire’s Galliard, Ah (2016) – Organ
- Passachordlia (2016) – Organ
- Lantern (2015) – Organ – Mike Stubbs, Cathedral Concerts Society, June 2015 (One of the movements from ‘Many Rooms’)
- Fantasia (2010) – Organ – Mike Stubbs, Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral, Jul 2011
- Fanfare: Once Around, Anticlockwise (2010) – Organ – Richard Lea, Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral, 2010 (Recorded by Richard Lea, ‘Liverpool Spectacular’ Priory Records release, 2010 http://www.prioryrecords.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2111&search=liverpool+spectacular)
- Ghosts (Are Here To Haunt You) (2000) – Organ – Mike Stubbs, St George’s Hall, Liverpool, Aug 2000
- Nebula (1991) – Trombone – Clive Iddon, The City University, 1992
- Piece For The Terminally Insipid (1991) – Piano – Mike Stubbs, The City University, Feb 1991
- Elegy (1987) – Organ – Mike Stubbs, Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral, Aug 1993
Saturday, 9 May ’20 7:30pm – All You Need Is Love
Sadly, due to the global Covid 19 pandemic, this concert has been cancelled, and future events put on hold until further notice.
Any changes to this will be posted here as and when they happen.
For more information about Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral Concerts Society, click here.